I'm Off Social Media and This is What's Happening! #stayhome
Repetition, scaremongering, dystopian world views, conspiracy theories and the occasional hysterically funny COVID-19 meme. That about sums up the information coming through my multiple social media challenges (oh, sorry I mean "channels"!), and SO relentlessly!
There was no way I could keep up to date and my head needed a rest.
Here's what's happened since I've stopped accessing social media:
- The first thing I do in the morning now when I get out of bed is pick up and give our "purring assassin" cat, Inka, a cuddle. Usually, he's weaving his way around the bottom of my legs as I check my phone for updates. His warm, furry body is a much smoother transition into my breakfast routine.
- I'm getting more glimpses of the natural world because I'm actually looking up. This is especially great as the neighbourhood is quiet and the birds are as happy as larry.
- I have on average an extra 2-3 hours a day (now I can do the yoga I said I would with no excuses). The 'Screen Time App' has been a great way to track this.
- I'm trusting my social media team in absolution. I already knew they were awesome but now I have let go completely.
- I'm more present with my family. Things aren't going in one ear and out the other.
- I'm only accessing very small doses of world news and only once a day and I don't feel like I am being bashed around the head with chaos.
- I'm figuring any of my friends that need to ask or tell me something can contact me in multiple other ways.
- I'm using my new found time for planning my home space to integrate a new puppy into our household.
- I'm listening to much more music and am rediscovering some real gems I had totally forgotten about.