How to get a cosmetic laser license in Queensland
First you start on a Trainee licence so submit Form 3 Application for a license to use laser apparatus - Cosmetic Purposes (Trainee).
To do this you will need to provide:
- A certified copy of your qualifications (e.g. AHPRA registration, Diploma of Beauty Therapy)
- A certified copy of your laser safety training certificate or evidence of enrolment, as appropriate. This is your Laser & intense pulsed light safety training course (cosmetic practice) from Bravura Education.
- A certified copy of your evidence of completion of an infection control training module. If you are a registered health practitioner this is covered, otherwise you will have to show evidence that you have completed an acceptable course(s). This is generally covered in Beauty Therapy qualification but if you do not have this radiation Health Queensland has a list of approved courses. Radiation_Health@health.qld.gov.au
- Certified copies of each of your proof of identity documents
- Payment of application fee.
After you have posted or faxed the Application for a license to use laser apparatus - Cosmetic Purposes (Trainee) with your evidence and received your Trainee license and accompanying information it will be clear to you what your license category is, the scope within which you are able to practice and the number of hours that will be required before being eligible for a full license. (Category 1 hair removal TOTAL=25hrs; Category 2= hair removal=25hrs, skin rejuvenation=50hrs, superficial vascular lesions=50hrs, superficial pigmented lesions=75hrs TOTAL= 200hrs; Category 3= hair removal=25hrs, skin rejuvenation=50hrs, superficial vascular lesions=50hrs, superficial pigmented lesions=75hrs, tattoo removal=100rs TOTAL =300 hours.
Then you then need to do the following:
- Only carry out the radiation practices listed on your User license and abide by any conditions listed
- Identify and have an arrangement with a person who holds an unrestricted Queensland license for the procedures you would like to be deemed competent at and ask them to be your supervisor/mentor.
- Maintain a log book of all the procedures you perform that is signed by your supervisor mentor
- Complete the allocated hours associated with the relevant category for each procedure (Category 1=25hrs, Category 2=200hr, Category 3=300 hours)
When you have completed your log book your supervisor/mentor then signs you off with a Trainee Cosmetic Laser Operator – Statement of Competency which you submit to Radiation_Health@health.qld.gov.au
You are then ready to start your full scope of laser practice. Good luck.