Do you work in or are responsible for an operating suite or other clinical environment that uses lasers (urology, ENT, gynaecology, ophthalmology, neurology)? Then this laser safety course provides a basic understanding of the operation and hazards of lasers.
If you have more responsibility with regard to lasers such as operating/adjusting settings on the machinery, auditing or clinical governance (i.e. surgeon, laser nurse, laser operator, Laser Safety Officer) then the Laser Safety Officer's Course is recommended for you.
- Light physics and the operation of lasers
- Interaction of laser radiation with tissue
- Hazards of surgical lasers
- Laser safety and the role of the laser operator/nurse.
- Laser-tissue interactions
- Particular hazards of delivery systems
- Ocular and skin hazards
- Patient-specific hazards
- Reflected beam hazards
- Laser plume hazards
- Hazards related to anaesthesia and management of the shared airway
- Fire, explosion, electrical and environmental hazards.
Expected learning outcomes
Recognise the operational characteristics of lasers
- Generation of the laser beam and propagation of light
- Characteristics of the laser beam
- Properties of different types of lasers
- Optical pathways, delivery systems and applicators
- Laser controls, e.g. power/pulse/time settings, emergency control and delivery systems.
Recognise and mitigate for laser hazards
- Laser tissue interactions
- Ocular safety
- Laser-generated airborne contaminants (Plume).
Have a basic understanding of the principles and procedures for safe laser use
- Laser controlled areas— warning signs, entry controls, control of access to the laser
- Flammability hazards and fire safety
- Roles and responsibilities of theatre staff when lasers are in use
- Care of the patient in the operating theatre.
Currently working in a perioperative environment or planning to do so.
Queensland Radiation Health Department Approval ED252
This laser safety course meets four hours of continuing professional development (CPD) when applied according to relevant AHPRA guidelines. Continuing professional development is the means by which members of the profession maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives.
Who is it for?
Any perioperative staff who are in contact with lasers.
Investment of time
Four hours at your own pace, in your own time and you can take as long as you like. Assessment is a one hour, online, open book exam.
What happens once I enrol?
An email confirming your enrolment will be sent immediately and then you will be sent your online course log in details in a second, separate email. If this second email doesn't show up, please check your spam. It will have a link to your course and simple instructions on how to set your password. Once you log in to your course(s) they will show up on the first page as a hyperlink. If you do not receive an email with your log in details within two working days (it is usually much faster than this though) please check that the email hasn't been blocked by your firewall. Any questions? Call us on 1300 001 808 or Contact Us.
What your peers are saying about our laser safety courses
Bravura take training seriously, no shortcuts.
Dr R.Y. Victoria
We chose Bravura’s online laser safety courses because it is really hard getting staff off the floor to attend face-to-face laser safety training and when they do it is long and boring!
Katie Hinchen, Nurse Educator, Calvary Lenah Valley Hospital, Tasmania
Put it on lay-buy
We don’t want anything to stand in the way of your career development, so we offer highly flexible payment options.
With our ‘lay buy’ option, you select the down payment percentage and how many months you need to purchase the course. We fully-automate the highly-secured process, with only a one-time, 0.9% admin fee and no interest added!
You can get started on your training within minutes!
Money back guarantee
We have user friendly processes that ensure completion of your course or your fees refunded (click here for details).
Do you have more than 10 staff to train?
If so, we have discount packages for you.