HAIR REDUCTION: Laser and intense pulsed light safety officer course- Online
HAIR FREE/CONFIDENT ME
Hair reduction has become one of the most popular beauty treatments requested by customers, and proficiency in laser and/or intense pulsed light (IPL) treatment is a valuable addition to your skill set.
Course contentOperational characteristics of lasers
- Generation of the laser beam and propagation of light
- Characteristics of lasers and the laser beam
- Properties of different types of lasers
- Optical pathways
- Delivery systems and applicators/including IPL
- Laser controls, e.g. power/pulse/time settings, emergency control and delivery systems.
- Laser-tissue interactions
- Particular hazards of delivery systems
- Ocular and skin hazards
- Patient-specific hazards
- Reflected beam hazards
- Laser plume hazards
- Hazards related to anaesthesia and management of the shared airway
- Fire, explosion, electrical and environmental hazards.
Principles and procedures for safe laser use
- Standards, regulations and guidelines
- Laser classification and hazard analysis
- Audit of laser facilities
- Laser controls in health care facilities
- Examples of safe practice and programs
- Equipment inspection (quality assurance) protocols
- Investigation and management of laser accidents/incidents
- Eye protection and protective eyewear
- Potential for fire and explosion and protection against flammability hazards
- Management of airborne contaminants (laser plume)
- Electrical safety
- Laser controlled areas—designation, warning signs, entry controls, control of access to the laser
- Hazards of particular procedures
- Role and responsibilities of an LSO.
- Realistic client expectations
- Biology of hair growth and phases
- Treatment intervals
- Client preparation, care and follow up
- Devices for hair reduction
- Medical conditions affecting hair growth
- Principles of professional and clinical practice.
Expected learning outcomes:
- Explain the scientific underpinning of how and why lasers and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) operate
- Identify the tissue interactions when using lasers and IPL
- Identify and interpret the legal considerations for the use of laser and IPL technologies in Australian states/territories
- Have an understanding of the safety precautions required when using lasers and IPL in clinical practice
- Identify potential risks and identify resources to develop safety plans for the use of lasers and IPL in a clinical setting
- Classify, explain and select appropriate lasers and IPL for a variety of clinical presentations
- Differentiate between Fitzpatrick Skin Types and the importance of this assessment in treatment decisions
- Understand how to communicate realistic expectations & success rates to clients
- Appropriate client selection for hair reduction
- Identify possible side effects and adverse outcomes
- Plan pre-treatment care
- Select therapeutic parameters & clinical endpoints
- Understand light application technique, skin cooling & treatment intervals
- Plan and provide post-treatment care
- Prevent paradoxical hair growth
- Be aware of special considerations for hair reduction in children and transgender people.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for this course but knowledge about skin anatomy and physiology is an advantage.
This is a laser safety course with the bonus of comprehensive information on how to perform hair reduction treatments. It can be used as the laser safety education evidence for license application to Queensland Radiation Health, Government of Western Australia Radiological Council and the Tasmanian Government Radiation Protection Unit.
This laser safety course meets eight hours of continuing professional development (CPD) when applied according to relevant AHPRA guidelines. Continuing professional development is the means by which members of the profession maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives.
Who is it for?
Nurses, doctors, beauty therapists, dermal therapists or other skin care professionals or those wanting to either start their own business or commence a career in laser/IPL hair removal.
Mode of delivery
Investment of time
Eight to ten hours at your own pace, in your own time and you can take as long as you like. Assessment is a two-hour, online, open book exam.
What happens once I enrol?
An email confirming your enrolment will be sent immediately and then you will be sent your online course log in details in a second, separate email. If this second email doesn't show up, please check your spam. It will have a link to your course and simple instructions on how to set your password. Once you log in to your course(s) they will show up on the first page as a hyperlink. If you do not receive an email with your log in details within two working days (it is usually much faster than this though) please check that the email hasn't been blocked by your firewall. Any questions? Call us on 1300 001 808 or Contact Us.
What your peers are saying about our laser safety courses
"The laser course covered everything I needed to know and enabled me to test myself at the end of each module to determine what I learnt." M.I. Victoria
Practical Experience Hub
Our online laser safety courses provide the convenience of equipping yourself with new skills and theoretical knowledge in the comfort of your own home or workplace. Many of our students take advantage of opportunities to practice their skills on technology that readily exists in their workplaces.
Some students, who don’t have access to technology for developing the practical application of their skills, like to spend time with us face-to-face. They can receive hands-on experience with cutting-edge technologies and close supervision from qualified and experienced staff, and make valuable connections in the industry. Take a look here at what we have for you on our Practical Experience Hub. [LINK]
Put it on lay-buy
We don’t want anything to stand in the way of your career development, so we offer highly flexible payment options.
With our ‘lay buy’ option, you select the down payment percentage and how many months you need to purchase the course. We fully-automate the highly-secured process, with only a one-time, 0.9% admin fee and no interest added!
You can get started on your training within minutes!
Money back guarantee
We have user friendly processes that ensure completion of your course or your fees refunded (click here for details).
DO YOU HAVE MORE THAN FIVE (5) STAFF TO TRAIN?
IF SO, WE HAVE DISCOUNT PACKAGES FOR YOU.