This laser safety course is suitable for those who work in an operating suite or other clinical environment that uses lasers (Gynaecology, Urology, Otorhinolaryngology, Plastic surgery, Cardiology, Neurology, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology). It provides a comprehensive understanding of the operation and hazards of lasers (i.e. surgeons, physicians, laser nurses, laser operators, Laser Safety Officers and other personnel working in the Nominal Ocular Hazard Zone).
Operational characteristics of lasers
- Generation of the laser beam and propagation of light
- Characteristics of lasers and the laser beam
- Properties of different types of lasers
- Optical pathways
- Delivery systems and applicators/including IPL
- Laser controls, e.g. power/pulse/time settings, emergency control and delivery systems.
- Laser-tissue interactions
- Particular hazards of delivery systems
- Ocular and skin hazards
- Patient-specific hazards
- Reflected beam hazards
- Laser plume hazards
- Hazards related to anaesthesia and management of the shared airway
- Fire, explosion, electrical and environmental hazards.
Principles and procedures for safe laser use
- Standards, regulations and guidelines
- Laser classification and hazard analysis
- Audit of laser facilities
- Laser controls in health care facilities
- Examples of safe practice and programs
- Equipment inspection (quality assurance) protocols
- Investigation and management of laser accidents/incidents
- Eye protection and protective eyewear
- Potential for fire and explosion and protection against flammability hazards
- Management of airborne contaminants (laser plume)
- Electrical safety
- Laser controlled areas—designation, warning signs, entry controls, control of access to the laser
- Hazards of particular procedures
- Role and responsibilities of an LSO.
Expected learning outcomes
- Explain the scientific underpinning of how and why lasers work within the surgical context
- Identify the tissue interactions when using lasers
- Identify and interpret the legal considerations for the use of laser technologies in Australian states/territories
- Have an understanding of the safety precautions required when using lasers in operating theatre environment
- Identify potential risks and identify resources to develop safety plans for the use of lasers in an operating theatre suite setting
- Classify, explain and select appropriate lasers for a variety of surgical procedures with a focus on desired patient outcomes
- Understand the role of the Laser Safety Committee and Laser Safety Officer
- Identify policies and procedural guideline requirements.
Currently working in a perioperative environment or planning to do so.
Our LSO course is accredited by the Australian College of Nursing (8 CPD points). This course can be used as the laser safety education evidence for a license application to Queensland Radiation Health (ED253), Government of Western Australia Radiological Council and the Tasmanian Government Radiation Protection Unit.
This laser safety course meets eight hours of continuing professional development (CPD) when applied according to relevant AHPRA guidelines. Continuing professional development is the means by which members of the profession maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge, expertise and competence, and develop the personal and professional qualities required throughout their professional lives.
THIS COURSE FORMS PART OF THE LASER SAFETY EDUCATIONAL EVIDENCE REQUIRED FOR LASER APPLICATIONS IN QUEENSLAND, WESTERN AUSTRALIA AND TASMANIA. IT IS NOT A LICENSE.
Mode of delivery
Online. We also offer it as a face-to-face program so please contact us.
Investment of time
Eight to ten hours at your own pace, in your own time and you can take as long as you like. Assessment is a two-hour, online, open book exam.
What happens once I enrol?
An email confirming your enrolment will be sent immediately and then you will be sent your online course login details in a second, separate email. If this second email doesn't show up, please check your spam. It will have a link to your course and simple instructions on how to set your password. Once you log in to your course(s) they will show up on the first page as a hyperlink. If you do not receive an email with your log in details within two working days (it is usually much faster than this though) please check that the email hasn't been blocked by your firewall. Any questions? Call us on 1300 001 808 or Contact Us.
What your peers are saying about our laser safety courses
We chose Bravura’s online laser safety courses because it is really hard getting staff off the floor to attend face-to-face laser safety training and when they do it is long and boring!
Katie Hinchen, Nurse Educator, Calvary Lenah Valley Hospital, Tasmania
Put it on lay-buy
We don’t want anything to stand in the way of your career development, so we offer highly flexible payment options.
With our ‘lay buy’ option, you select the down payment percentage and how many months you need to purchase the course. We fully-automate the highly-secured process, with only a one-time, 0.9% admin fee and no interest added!
You can get started on your training within minutes!
Money back guarantee
We have user-friendly processes that ensure completion of your course or your fees refunded (click here for details).
Do you have more than five (5) staff to train?
If so, we have discount packages for you.